Pages

Saturday, April 24, 2010

Jasquila

I was in the Upper Galil this past weekend with my Dad and my Israeli family. We went on some beautiful hikes in and around Mt. Meron and even in late April one can see a lot of wildflowers.

For dinner we went to a Lebanese restaurant that my Israeli family had been to several times and had fond memories of. They knew the restaurant as Jasquila, and enjoyed the homey atmosphere, complete with a fireplace. It was a family operation and the matriarch of the family would make special Lebanese specialties, primarily various stuffed dishes. Stuffed grape leaves, peppers, okra, zucchini, etc…

So we all went to Jish (Gush Halav) hungry and excited for some good home style Lebanese food. Upon arrival to where Jasquila has been we discovered that the restaurant has gone through a few changes. For one, it is no longer called Jasquila, rather Ha’arezim (Cedars). It is no longer has the home feel with the fireplace, but looks like any modern restaurant. While it is unfortunate the restaurant lost its identity and is not really distinguishable in appearance from newly renovated “modern” place, the food was still great.

I ordered the Molouchiya (a green leaf actually associated more with Egyptian cuisine) soup with rice. The soup was simple in composition, but tasty. The Machluya adds a little sourness and kick to the soup. They served us the gazillions of salads one receives at a typical Arab restaurant, all of which were really good. The olives were a step above everything else, though. A little spicy, very lemony, and really tasty. My Dad had the lamb shishlik, which was, according to him, “extremely well spiced” and “very tender and juicy”.

All in all, it was a really tasty meal and I would recommend to the place to anyone in the area. Its just a shame they thought they had to lose their authentic style, name, and partial identity to appeal to the masses, whoever that is.

IMG_3737 

Ha’arezim (Cedars) restaurant. Formally known as Jasquila.

IMG_3739

I never knew children came in portions of sausage, schnitzel, or chicken skewers. Hmmm, which kid will I eat?

IMG_3738

Don’t eat me! I’m too cute…

IMG_3748

Excellent lamb shishlik

 IMG_3740

Some of the best olives I’ve had in a long while

IMG_3742

Molouchiya, a kind of spinach-ish soup with rice.

Savor Israel


Share/Save/Bookmark

3 comments:

  1. good for you for selecting the molouchiya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shai is too cute! I'm sorry I missed all the great food.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is not real Egyptian style molokheya

    ReplyDelete