Pages

Monday, March 1, 2010

Schwarma and McDonald's Don't Mix

I was in line at HaKosem, one of my favorite falafel/sabich/schwarma places in Tel Aviv, when the person in front of me asked for "chips" (fries in Israel, amongst other countries) in their schwarma.

Before I finish the story, I want to share a culinary pet peeve of mine. Chips in schwarma!!! I just don't think they belong. I'm not one that says a food has to stay traditional, but chips/fries just don't belong in a schwarma. In Israel I am in the clear minority as most people consider them almost as important as the hummus and tahina. (that may be a slight exaggeration) In any case, HaKosem, despite its strong reputation and high prices reflecting as much, is taking a risk by not offering them.

HaKosem takes pride in not offering chips, and the worker had a huge grin on his face as he responded to the customer's request by saying, "go to McDonald's if you want chips". I couldn't agree more I thought to myself as I then proceeded to order...sabich.


Share/Save/Bookmark

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you. Chips do not belong in schwarma. Than again, I am a purist when it comes to schwarma. We defintely have to have some when I am there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your judgment of Shawarma. I'm also an American transplanted in Tel Aviv (oleh hadash and student), and have a blog about all the food I make. Would love to meet some other guys interested in cooking for so far all the Israeli food bloggers I've "met" have been middle aged women (as lovely as they are).

    Check out my blog about all the food I eat and make:

    61perry.typepad.com/from_suq_to_shuk

    Hope you enjoy it and to hear what you think.

    Avi

    ReplyDelete