Pages

Sunday, September 20, 2009

Krembo

This blog post is going to be a tribute to one of my favorite Israeli snacks…Krembo! Krembo is not a kind of food unique to Israel, its similar to a s’more, but I’ve never seen them sold elsewhere. For those unfamiliar, Krembo is an individually packaged snack made of a cracker bottom, an airy cream filling and covered with chocolate.

One sign of winter in Israel is the appearance of Krembo in the stores. If its too hot than the chocolate melts, so they only show up around November. I think Krembos taste great, and I am amazed by their versatility. You can eat Krembo at room temperature which is the classic way. Freezing them makes them just a little bit better in my opinion. You can also zap it in the microwave for a few seconds to get a more s’more type taste.

Check out the YouTube video below on how Krembos are made (Hebrew only). One thing I found interesting was that the Krembos are so delicate they have to packaged by hand and not by machine. Next time you’re in Israel during the winter be sure to have yourself a delicious Krembo.


Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment